Who wants to do the washing up? No one! That’s why many of us have a dishwasher. The only drawback is that your dishwasher can chew through your power bill. Stop doing the washing up and turn on your dishwasher whenever you want with our know-how energy usage dishwasher guide so you’re not left at the sink!
Reduce your dishwashers energy use
Washing by hand although ‘free’ uses far more water than a dishwasher does. Your sink takes 20-25 litres of water whereas a standard dishwasher only uses 13 litres. Not to mention the hard work of hand washing! So you’re better off using the dishwasher - the only drawback is that your dishwasher can chew through your power bill.
What does a dishwasher cost to run?
*At an electricity usage rate of 28.7c/kWh and cold water, fast cycle (above figures are electricity only, add 3 cents per load for water)
Who washes the washer?
Did you know a dishwasher needs cleaning, regular servicing and maintenance to perform properly every time? Your dishwasher will work much harder and use more energy if it’s not maintained - further increasing your electricity bills. It also means dirty dishes and a shorter lifespan for your dishwasher.
Follow these handy tips to maintain your dishwasher:
- Clean your filter or cavity - When was the last time you cleaned your filter or cavity or used a dishwasher cleaner? German dishwasher giant Miele recommends you use a dishwasher cleaner up to three times a year based on regular cycles once a day (seven days a week).
- Scrape away scraps - Don’t waste water pre rinsing your dishes but make sure you scrape off all food – scraps can clog your filter.
- Don’t over stack your dishwasher, two loads are better than one. Your dishwasher won’t clean your dishes properly if they are overflowing. Dishwashers are programmed to clean a number of place settings and more than recommended means dirty plates and cups.
Buying a new dishwasher? Here’s what to look for:
- Energy efficiency rating – the more stars the better! The energy rating label will arm you with all the information you need to help you choose a more energy efficient dishwasher which is cost effective to run and will result in a lower electricity bill
- Varied wash cycles - means you can do a half-load or an eco-load, allowing you more choice and control
- Delayed start – lets you set and forget! Much like a timer function, you can set it to start at a specific time. (Like in the middle of the night when electricity rates are cheaper)
- Capacity – how much your dishwasher will hold. A dishwasher's capacity is measured by place settings. A typical place setting is two plates (one side and one main), a cup, a bowl and cutlery set per person. Look at how many people there are in your household and maybe add two for when you have guests
Get the Energy Calculator App for your smartphone to help you buy better energy efficient appliances.
Let the sun wash your dishes
Tailor your energy to your lifestyle with smart solar batteries like Reposit, you can use energy the way you want while still lowering your power bill. Turn on your dishwasher at your leisure, when you want without the added cost to your electricity bill.
Working with your solar panels, a smart solar battery system can predict how much electricity your panels will create, and will know when to store this in your battery to lower your power bills.
Some electricity plans charge different prices at different times throughout the day for using energy. A smart solar battery, will store the electricity generated from your solar panels in your battery for you to use at night when electricity is most expensive.
When your solar battery is full and your solar panels are producing more energy than your household is using, any energy you use at home during this time is essentially free.
Investing in a smart solar battery with Reposit will save you money while letting you turn on your dishwasher, day or night. You can sit back and relax, and you won’t have to stress about your upcoming power bills.
To find out more about our smart solar batteries, or to get in touch, give one of our friendly staff a call. We can help you find the right system for your home to help you maximise your savings, minimise the hard labour, without compromising on your lifestyle.